Between 2005 and 2014, Transport Direct operated a national multi-modal journey planning portal whereby users could plan detailed journeys anywhere in the UK using a combination of public and car transport. At its peak, Transport Direct currently served in excess of 70M information pages per year.
As part of the initiative, Landmark built and maintained a national car parks database. Car Park information is of particular importance as it often represents nodes from which travellers switch from car to public transport. Landmark provided this service from 2006 to 2014. Having provided the requisite innovation and thought leadership for this service, DfT discontinued the service in 2014 in light of the creation of private sector equivalents.
- Landmark collected and maintained information on car parks from a very wide variety of sources, both from the public and private sector and stored information from over 22,000 car parks in their sophisticated data model
- A very wide range of information was maintained on each car park, including capacity, operator information, opening times, charges, facilities, disabled facilities, park & ride information and “safer parking” criteria
- All information was stored in Landmark’s SQL Server Car Parks database and updates made to Transport Direct every month by secure XML feed having passed Landmark’s internal QA and XML validation checks
- A core component of the process was the geo-referencing of entry and exit points to car parks and tying these into the digital road network in order that journey plans are seamless. Landmark developed bespoke applications to streamline this process and to ensure accuracy. In particular the application displayed and ensured the user was aware of street characteristics influencing geocoding such as one-way streets, pedestrianised areas, dual carriageways or other forms of restriction.
- The national database provided the travelling public with information about the nearest car parks to a locality, station or address. Also offers details for specific car parks and shows car parks on maps allowing users to click on the map to get further detail or to plan a journey
- Car parks with park and ride facilities