How this helped our customers
Historical mapping provides a unique insight into our past and is a fascinating journey through history in itself. Particularly when displayed with contemporary mapping or aerial photography
Our customers use this information in a wide variety of ways including:
- Looking for potentially contaminated historic land use and its relationship to current buildings and land use
- Understanding how historic boundaries relate to current boundaries and to help resolve queries related to historic charges or covenants in relation to the present day
- To help people trace their history through historic place-names
- As an academic research tool
- To provide a fascinating visual tool to teach history and to help children and young adults delve into the past
Historical is available for the following scales:
- 1:500, 1:528 & 1:1056 scale pre-war Town Plans
- 1:2500 scale pre-war County Series mapping
- 1:10 560 scale pre-war County Series mapping
- 1:2500 scale post-war National Grid “A,B,C,D” editions
- 1:1250 scale post-war National Grid “A,B,C,D” editions
- 1:10 560 or 1:10 000 scale post-war National Grid mapping
- 1:1250 and 1:2500 post-war SUSI (Surveyors Unpublished Survey Information) & SIM (Survey Information on Microfiche)
Historical Map Data vary in Tile sizes:
- 1:500 and 1:528 scale County Series Town Plans, 0.3 miles by 0.2 miles or 0.15km2
- 1:1056 scale County Series Town Plans, 0.6 miles by 0.4 miles or 0.61km2
- 1:2500 scale County Series maps (also known as 25 inch), 1.5 miles by 1 miles or 3.84km2
- 1:10 560 scale County Series maps (also known as 6 inch), full sheets, 6 miles by 4 miles or 61.44km2
- 1:10 560 scale County Series maps (also known as 6 inch), quarter sheets, 3 miles by 2 miles or 15.36km2
- 1:1250 scale National Grid maps, 0.5km by 0.5km
- 1:2500 scale National Grid maps, 1 by 1 sheets, 1 km by 1 km
- 1:2500 scale National Grid maps, 2 by 1 sheets, 2 km by 1 km
- 1:10 000 scale National Grid maps, 5 km by 5 km or 25 km2
- Coverage can be selected by geography, era or scale.
- Accurately georeferenced to allow direct comparison between the past & the present.
- Licenced for multi-user & enterprise use.
- Available in a variety of formats ready for use in all standard Geographic Information Systems.
- Vector grids provided for each epoch & scale showing coverage and tagged to date of publication of the original map sheet.